Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Loving the Hard Job

I'm exhausted. I feel like I hardly got to sit down today. Today was just one thing after another. Not just activities... but poops and meals and bottles and fussing... life stuff. The other day I came across this great blog post by Emily Watts. She talks about her love of being a mom, but that it's a hard, hard job. Hear-hear!

One of my favorite parts:
When I think of all the “hard parts” of motherhood as chances to exercise my skill, to stretch myself to become better, to demonstrate my commitment to principles I know are eternally significant, they become some of the best parts of the job. And when I need a boost, I think about all the ways in which my children manifest their willingness to “walk in truth.” Emily Watts
Yes, it's good. Life is supposed to be hard. I don't think any of us agreed to a life of ease in the premortal world. I like to think my life will get easier... but honestly I don't think it will. I sure hope my ability to do will increase.

One of Heber J. Grant's favorite messages was this:
I'd never thought of this quote in regards to mothering before. Interesting idea.

I indeed want for my ability to increase... that I'll learn from life's lessons (instead of having to repeat them over and over and over again). Better yet... as I try my best, I can be strengthened in Christ... who will lift me up. Which is where Grace and the Atonement come in. This I know... and this I HOPE for.

Good, good stuff. May that message carry me through the summer. I may have to revisit it over and over.

I love summer break. I do. I love that my kids actually have time to play and eat popsicles and run around in the wind. But I'm a wee bit scared... biting nails... Can I survive with all my kids home all day? I have a game plan, but can I do it?! ... uhhhh, YES - we can!

1 comment:

Wendi said...

I've always appreciated that favorite quote of Heber J. Grant. :) Thanks for the reminder.