Tuesday, May 25, 2010

happiness is...

I loved Pioneer Woman's photography assignment "Happiness". There were over 76,000 submissions ... goodness-me. It's interesting to look through the photos. Each one probably has a happy memory for that person.

I thought I'd go through my photos for "happiness" feelings. Mine aren't professional. Most have blurry movement from kids and are from everyday moments. But they are real and happy to me ... good memories.
Makes me think about happiness and what it's all about. Family... children laughing... goodness and purity and innocence... surprising tender moments with wiggly little ones... running around playing together. I even think JOY could have a completely separate photoshoot... as that word seems to run even deeper.

This photo was taken during a long winter in a new state with 3 little kids at home all day long. We had perfect natural light and a bright white wall. And we had lots of time together. At the time, some days seemed long and hard and lonely. But most were filled with dress-ups and play-dough and silly pretend. I look back and think of the good memories during that winter ... all focused on time spent with my children.


Happiness is... working hard together. This photo was taken at the end of a long hard hike in the mountains. I was 7 months pregnant with baby #4. My little ones were so tired, and thirsty, and hot. But our family made it! We made it to the waterfall. We also made it home without crumbling to the ground. We made it... but we only survived by singing songs, keeping spirits high, chewing gum, and the prayers of a 6-year-old girl who quietly prayed for us all. Families grow closer together by working hard together ... at least ours did. We were so proud of ourselves for accomplishing a big hike up the mountain.

1 comment:

Wendi said...

Those are really cute pictures of your kids in that collage. :)