Thursday, April 1, 2010

Small & Simple

Recently this scripture took on a new meaning - in relation to TIME.

I somehow think I need a huge chunk of time to accomplish certain tasks... cleaning out closets and organizing/tossing piles and kid's junk... to name a few.

I'm realizing that I may NEVER again have a huge chunk of time (interruption free) so I need to do little small and simple tasks that will eventually conquer the great big things. After every baby, I feel eternally behind on chores and it overwhelms me.

New goal: think small and simple, small and simple, small and simple.

I liked this 1-minute inspiration idea I saw on Small Notebook by Rachel:

Here are thirty-one things you can do that take one minute or less:
1. put away an item in the closet
2. turn on upbeat music
3. wipe crumbs off the table
4. take something to another room where it goes
5. reply to an email (one email, don’t get lost in your email inbox)
6. water a plant
7. file a paper
8. empty a trash can
9. check the toilet paper supply
10. wipe spots off a mirror
11. bring empty glasses back to the kitchen
12. put your plate in the dishwasher
13. start the dishwasher
14. cut a loose string off your clothing
15. swish a brush around the toilet bowl
16. hang the towels up off the floor
17. shake out the welcome mat
18. sweep the entryway to your home
19. check your calendar
20. toss the junk mail
21. put your bag by the door so it’s ready to go
22. toss old vegetables from the fridge
23. stack magazines and remove the old ones
24. throw dirty clothes in the laundry basket
25. rinse off the soap dish
26. add a couple things to your grocery list
27. plug in your cell phone to charge it
28. take receipts out of your wallet
29. close drawers and cabinet doors
30. put your shoes away
31. give someone a hug
I think my favorite is 31. Kids need more hugs around here. I bet we could come up with a list of 100 small-and-simple things to accomplish in less than a minute.

~ Go! ~
Clock minute timer by Tazmany

1 comment:

Wendi said...

I used to be a compulsive organizer. Now I'm compulsive hoarder. I have no idea how that happened over the last 11 years, but it did. So I have all sorts of clutter to deal with now. Decision making is my most difficult task. But this "small and simple" concept is very helpful with this struggle. Thanks for the reminder. It helps me not to feel so overwhelmed. One paper at a time. One object at a time. One decision at a time. The piles will eventually go away if I concentrate on that... :)