Friday, April 2, 2010

Fairytales & Happily Ever After

I love that Google alerts me to special occasions or interesting events. Today marks the 205th Birthday of Hans Christian Andersen, April 2, 1805 – August 4, 1875. He was born in Denmark (also a land of my forefathers).

(Statue of Andersen reading to a duck: located in Central Park in NY)

You would think the author of children's fairytales would have a pleasant life, but according to Wikipedia he had a dark and bitter childhood. It seems perhaps he felt a bit like his story of The Ugly Duckling in his early years. Teachers discouraged him from writing because of his dyslexia. His adult life was filled with a longing to find love but he died without having married.

BUT he wrote some very clever stories that are enjoyed by so many around the world.

His most famous fairytales were Thumbelina, The Snow Queen, The Ugly Duckling, The Little Mermaid, The Emperor's New Clothes, and The Princess and the Pea.  Happy Birthday Hans!

Now - onto Real-life Fairytale messages...
I do believe the President Uchtdorf's Happily Ever After message to the Young Women at Saturday's Broadcast was one of my very favorite of all time for young women. It explains so PERFECTLY how to have a Happily Ever After. There are too many favorites to write them all here, but here are a few quotes that stood out.
“Once upon a time” promises something: a story of adventure and romance, a story of princesses and princes. It may include tales of courage, hope, and everlasting love. In many of these stories, nice overcomes mean and good overcomes evil. But perhaps most of all, I love it when we turn to the last page and our eyes reach the final lines and we see the enchanting words “And they lived happily ever after.”


...You will learn for yourself what every heroine has learned: through overcoming challenges come growth and strength.


...It is your reaction to adversity, not the adversity itself, that determines how your life’s story will develop.


...“Happily ever after” is not something found only in fairy tales. You can have it! It is available for you! But you must follow your Heavenly Father’s map.


...Be strong and of good courage. You are truly royal spirit daughters of Almighty God. You are princesses, destined to become queens. Your own wondrous story has already begun. Your “once upon a time” is now. (watch his talk on the video stream. It will improve the rest of your day.)
This video presentation made me cry about the entire time... It's so TRUE... so GOOD.  It's what I want for my children... for me... for young people everywhere... to feel the Spirit and BELIEVE in and LIVE truth.

I have a purpose.
He has a plan.
I have a witness.
I know who I am -
A chosen daughter of noble birth.
The Father's mission to fill on earth.
I'll follow His Beloved Son.
And in His Name, I can become.
And as I grow, His light will [do?].
and that light will strengthen you.


When the world meets temptations -
seem to call you by name.
Be strong, be strong.
When they question everything you put your faith in every day
Be strong, be strong.
And if you stand for something right and stand alone,
Remember through his chosen servants
God will lead you back home.


Be His, Be One, Be Strong.

3 comments:

Wendi said...

Isn't technology wonderful? I'm so thankful that we can watch Conference talks anytime we want to! Thank you for this reminder to persevere through the adversity to achieve the "happily ever after". :)

Wendi said...

This was also the part I appreciated most: "...It is your reaction to adversity, not the adversity itself, that determines how your life’s story will develop." I need to keep working on that!

I'm going to watch this with my daughter again today. :)

Wendi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.