Monday, October 11, 2010

*LIGHT* in the Trenches

I've been thinking about life in the trenches lately. I'm often reminded that this stage of life with 4 tots under the age of 8 is a challenging time of life... oh, it's good too... there are many blessings and joys... but...

The constancy of little ones NEEDing all day is overwhelming. I either have a babe on my hip while working, OR 1 or 2 little ones wanting a love, OR 1 or 2 older tots wanting to be heard ... or all at the same time.  It is good to have these little blessings in our home ... just overwhelming for this mama.

Those without little ones would tell me to cherish the moments because soon they'll be gone (or the tots will grow to be teenagers!!). I know - it's true. But the daily stuff is often full of challenges - physically and emotionally for young mothers.

So yes... the 24/7 trenches.  So - how do we survive? I read a brief snippet of a book by Linda Eyre about life in the trenches.

"I needed to find the LIGHT in my trench of motherhood...
I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less."
Linda Eyre

ah-ha... there can be LIGHT in the trenches. It may not make the hard work go away, but it will make it more bearable.

"And now it came to pass that the burdens which were laid upon [the mothers of zion] were made light; yea, the Lord did strengthen them that they could bear up their burdens with ease, and they did submit cheerfully and with patience to all the will of the Lord." Mosiah 24:15

LIGHT is good.  It's essential to survival.  Elder Holland, in our recent Regional Conference, counseled us to build a reservoir of faith to gather from when times are tough.  Replenish... Refill... Rejuvenate... all important things to work on.


10:30 a.m. - p.s.  the person who said, "Don't cry over spilled milk," never had a baby grab an open formula bottle which dumped itself into every unimaginable and uncleanable area of the stove. Or maybe they did and 50 years later couldn't remember why spilled milk would have been so traumatic and so they gave their grandchildren that advice.  ... hold on.... the LIGHT will come.

No comments: