Saturday, October 2, 2010

The General Conference Roller Derby

It all started when I attempted to finish up the 72-hour kit fiasco in between sessions.
I put them back in the front closet and the closet got the best of me.
Really. I think it was attacking me.
Which resulted in me tossing everything from the closet into the front foyer.
Which resulted in finding Hannah's roller skates.
Which resulted in Hannah trying them on and giving them a go-around and around and around the family room dodging furniture and the desks used for coloring conference packets.

Perhaps not the most reverent conference activity ... but seeing as they did pretty well for the other 3 1/2 hours... I let it slide. Hannah would pull over when a new speaker started.  She drew their picture and wrote about their topic. Then she'd roll away again. Mostly, it made me laugh.

After conference, the roller derby went outside. Abe and Max took turns with mom holding them up. I'm one tired (and bruised leg) mama. Anyhoo...

Good, good conference - at least every third word that I happened to hear amidst the chaos of 4 tots. Deepest gratitude for downloadable audio and video conference addresses and the blessed Conference Issue Ensign. We'll delight in that later.

Apostles Wall:  I wanted to have the 8x10 pictures of all the Apostles hanging on the wall and then we could write under it their topic. But alas... I didn't have that size purchased. So I put together a miniature version. Hannah told me her notes on what each talked about. The funniest was Elder Holland. She said, "he talked about girls." I think we'll have to review and change our notes on the posters.

I want to keep these mini posters up for a few months and review all the talks for FHE's and learn something new about each apostle. Hopefully the kids will get the 10 little indians Apostle song learned. It's a bit tricky with Christofferson and Anderson there at the end. I think we've worked it out though.  Fun stuff.

Conference Mix:  Hannah always begs for something she calls a "Math Mix" which they had at school once. We threw a bunch of favorite snacks in a bowl: pretzels, animal crackers, toy story cheezits, cheerios, fishies, m&ms.  (yes, it's very, very healthy!  NOT.  Think of all that salt.  ay-ay-ay.)  I think everyone picked the m&ms out and then ate the rest. The kids LOVED it. I think we'll now call it the "Conference Mix".

I always love Conference weekend no matter what. I love all the TRUTH and LIGHT we hear and feel. I hope my kids feel a little bit of that too so they'll look forward to the next one.

No comments: