Thursday, August 12, 2010

That which edifies ...

I recently read a chapter on "That Which Edifies" in a book by Sherrie Johnson.

She wrote about how "important it is to create as much good as possible in the controllable facets of our environment. ... We do this by surrounding ourselves with colors, pictures, music, sayings, and decor that lift and encourage. We can train ourselves to be more aware of how things affect us. We can be more aware that we are a temple for the Holy Ghost, and we can seek more actively to find and incorporate that which edifies in our lives."

I just keep thinking about all the things I want my kids to know and believe and do. And I want things on the walls in our home environment to support goodness.  I think I've gotten past the perfectly decorated home I thought I might be able to create. I'd rather have kid's art and inspiring stuff for kids on the walls than gorgeously framed paintings (ok - really, can I have both? ... when $$ permits)

A scripture comes to mind when I think of the challenges my kids face in life:

"Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the Lord thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest." Joshua 1:9

After focusing on the Holy Ghost last month in primary, I realized how very important it is that we have the Holy Ghost in our home and with each of us. So, I want to make more efforts to surround ourselves with that which edifies ... at least to remind us to do good and be good.

I love the Bright Idea pages in the Friend Magazine (actually I love the entire new design and stuff they have in the 2010 Friend). I want to hang those upstairs in the playroom and kid's rooms. They sure are cute little ENCOURAGING messages.

I've also been trying to find good audio books for my kids to listen to. Our parents (and grandparents) have read lots of fun stories for the kids to listen to while following along with the book. I recently read some stories too. Our kids love all of those.

2 resources I recently came across that I put on our family ipod:

Scripture Stories on the Mormon Radio Channel. You can download the different episodes. It has a primary song and the illustrated scripture stories read by children. I love that they have these.

Audio of The Friend magazines You can save them by right click and 'save link as'.

It cracks me up that our 1999 Toyota Minivan still has a cassette tape. Isn't that so old-fashioned?! But I found a device that will connect the Ipod through the cassette tape so we can listen to all the good stuff in the car. So instead of silence ... we now have fun primary songs and stories. Yay!

One more step to filling our life with things that edify. I sure hope it can help us all remember to choose the right more often.

No comments: