Saturday, December 11, 2010

Do you BELIEVE?

We've had a little bit of a bah-humbug in Hannah this holiday season in regard to Santa Claus. Last year she wanted to BELIEVE... she enjoyed BELIEVING. She had fun with it all. This year... she was determined to boldly state her opinion that Santa "is not real!!!" We've had a few conversations with her about keeping the fun alive for Abraham (who boldly states that he BELIEVES in Santa Claus).

I've asked Hannah why she didn't BELIEVE in Santa Claus anymore. Finally tonight when she was doing the dishes and I was making pizza dough, we had a nice chat about it. She listens very carefully, even when we think she isn't. She had heard me say that I start saving for Christmas to spread out the purchases all year long. And she didn't think it would work to have Santa fly a sleigh around the world in one night. Sigh... her little brain is a workin'.

And she asked me if I believed - "for real mom"? She wanted it straight.

So I explained what isn't real... a cute little bearded man living at the North Pole making toys in his workshop and flying around the world with reindeer and a sleigh. But what a cool job this mom has of being a "Santa's Elf" (wink-wink). (She liked that part! It brought the magic/spirit-of-giving sparkle to her eyes)

What is real... Miss Hannah... is BELIEVING in the Spirit of Christmas... of giving... of joy... of all the good things that Santa Claus symbolizes... reminding us of Jesus. Yes, if we focus on the presents we miss that specialness of Christmas... but if we focus on the goodness, kindness, giving spirit, and joy, we REALIZE what is real and good.

I asked her if she'd rather us not have any "Santa" at all... no stockings, no Santa presents. She got a grim look on her face and shook her head no! I think she knows it's still a fun part of Christmas. As my friend Katie said, "When kids ask if Santa is real, they are asking for permission to Believe. It is a fun magical time of year and they just want to partake in that fun. Don't we all!"

Come Monday... I'm giving her this 5x7 page. I'm hoping it might help keep a sparkle of excitement in her eye and to BELIEVE in the Spirit of Christmas... and all that is real and true.

No comments: