Saturday, June 26, 2010

Simple Dreams

I recently read Hattie Big Sky. It's a book about a young girl who tried to tame the land in Montana during WWI (a historical fiction). So - I've been thinking once again of those who came before. How did they do it? How were they so strong physically to endure? Did they cry alot? I would have. But I love their courage, their example ... of relying on the Lord for strength and daily guidance.

Years ago I came across a statue of a pioneer woman in a magazine. I wish I knew who the sculptor was. I agree with Abigail Adams that we reap so many of the blessings of those who came before... we hardly know how good we have it.

Recently Pioneer Woman posted about a local museum in Oklahoma. She shared this statue, Pioneer Woman by Bryant Baker (unveiled in 1930).
“In appreciation of the heroic character of the women who braved the dangers and endured the hardships incident to daily life of the pioneer and homesteader in this country.” Pioneer Woman Museum

Thinking of those who have gone before reminds me that I have so many niceties in my life. I ought not complain about the time it takes to apply sunscreen to 4 tots, do laundry in my automatic washer/dryer, vacuum my carpeted floor, waiting in line at Walmart, etc, etc, etc.



These are from a journal entry written July 2009.  Thought I'd share the fabulous paintings and quotes on PIONEERS.

Joseph Brickey (Carried by the Covenant)

I love this painting. Doesn't it give a glimpse into of the life of a young pioneer mother ... child ... family? What a life they must have had... full of adventure, heartache, joy, work, struggle, etc...
"Much could be said about the toil and hardship endured by the Saints in their westward migration. Our focus is on their faith, obedience, and steadfastness in the face of immense difficulty and uncertainty. Although their physical circumstances were much different than ours, the personal trials and challenges may, in fact, be very similar." Faith of our Fathers, 1996, CES Education Week

Dell Parson (James Kirkwood carries Brother Joseph)

With Pioneer Day being celebrated last week in Utah, my thoughts have been on the Pioneers ... their work ... all they endured ... their faith ... their example ... their lives and stories. We didn't attend any of the glorious Utah celebrations but we did work in the yard ... in the dirty, dirt, dirt.
David Koch (By Small and Simple Things)
This painting reminds me of this quote I read recently on a friend's blog. I want to be like this Pioneer mother.
"Be there for your children. Sit on the bed and enjoy the late-night talks -- try to stay awake! Pray for the Lord to inspire you. Forgive often. Choose your battles. Testify frequently of Jesus Christ and of His goodness and of the Restoration. And most of all, let them know of your trust in the Lord." Bonnie D. Parkin

David Koch (Hope Shining brightly) - I love the name of that painting!

David Koch (Crossing the Sweetwater) - I loved this painting on the front of the Friend magazine this month. Why do I ever complain about cleaning my stinky toilets? .... there are bigger issues in life.

David Koch (Tell me the Stories) - This is another of my favorite pioneer paintings. Imagine those sweet pioneer children!

President Eyring gave a great 'Faith of our Fathers' message. He shared this story about his pioneer ancestors. I enjoyed the pleasant 'crossing the plains' story.
Mary got to America, joined a pioneer company, and walked across the plains. She described that crossing on foot as one of the happiest times of her life. On that walk she met a returning missionary, Henry Eyring. They went in front of the wagon train to be clear of the dust. They described that trek not as a trial but as a time of joy as they told each other what a remarkable chance was theirs to have been found by the servants of God and to be allowed to help build the kingdom of God in the last days. They fell in love. For them, that passage was not a trial but a time of refreshing, of refuge. They chose to see in it a respite, he from his five-year mission and she from working her way alone from Switzerland. It was their youthful faith that made it a romantic stroll.
He continues on sharing that their main troubles hit once they arrived in Utah. It's a great message to read.
"I see a thread of faith, a particular faith, running in the lives of those heroes of the Restoration whose steadfastness and courage leave us in awe. Perhaps if we examine that thread today, we may find it in our own lives and strengthen it." Henry B. Eyring

1 comment:

Wendi said...

Thank you for this neat post about the Pioneers. And that book blog of yours looks like a great site. :)