Monday, June 7, 2010

Oh, the Places we'll Go!


I thought it would be fun to have a large map in my home... to see where places are... read the names of countries, cities, oceans, lakes.

So - I decided to buy some maps so our family could learn together. For $10 each, I found Classic Edition Rand McNally maps on parchment paper at a local educational store. They are each 50x32 ft.

It would have cost $400 to "cheaply" frame just one of them (and that was half off) So..... we went the inexpensive route and had them laminated for $4 each (go BYU copy center!!). We put Command sticky thingies all over the back to adhere it safely to the wall. We bought some mdf molding, painted it Behr Bison Brown (which I love and want to paint all our old furniture with!), and put it on the wall with finishing nails (well.... and unfortunately a little glue since the boards were bowing). I got this idea for framing from A Soft Place to Land. I love the look of it all! It's not perfect and it was hard to get the maps exactly smooth... but it's just fine for our purposes.

Things to do next time:  I wish we had put it lower and on the kid's level. I thought having it above the couch would be fine, but the kids are just jumping on the couch to see it. As it is, it needs to be about a foot lower on this wall. Oh well. Next time I would probably do two separate frames for them as well.  Also, I would only use 3M Command poster stickies.  I ran out and had to use the Scotch ones which weren't nearly as good.  Lessons learned for next time.

The laughable part: I told Jimmy this was a project I could mostly do myself. Oh - I had the idea and purchased the boards and painted them. But Jimmy cut the boards, did all the millions of measurements to get it centered and level on the wall. He's my math-man, my handy-man, and good with a hammer. So - basically he did most of it. Thanks Jimmy!


Anyhoo... why am I so excited about maps! When we first pulled out the world map the kids were amazed by all the countries. It opened up a whole new "world" to them! Really. They are still trying to grasp what states and countries are, but it's a start.

I also have loads of ideas of how to use the maps. Tonight for FHE we put red sticker dots where all the temples are in Utah. Next we'll do all in the United States and then the World. That's something like 132 stickers just for temples.

I also want to put pictures of our family members where they live so they can stay somewhat connected even if we don't live close. How fun to actually see on a map where people live.

We'll also put pictures of uncles, grandparents, etc where they served their missions.

How fun to locate places from history: the First Vision... where Jesus walked... etc...

This summer we're learning about 12 different countries - 1 a week for TRAVEL TUESDAY. Just basic stuff that might take an hour or so a week.
Ok - I realize Africa is a continent, but we'll learn about that and clarify. Most of the places are where relatives have served missions. Fun Stuff!

So - yep! I'm excited about our maps. Hopefully they will stay up and be put to good use!

Oh, the Places You'll Go!
by Dr. Seuss

Congratulations!
Today is your day.
You're off to Great Places!
You're off and away!

OH!
THE PLACES YOU'LL GO!

1 comment:

Wendi said...

Wow! Those maps look great framed like that. The sticker idea is a great one. And I've always loved that Dr. Seuss book. :)