Thursday, February 4, 2010

The Gift of an Ordinary Day

I saw this youtube video on a friends' blog and watched all 7:38 minutes of it while feeding Tru.

It was a great reminder to enjoy my ordinary days now... before my tots don't fit on my lap anymore ... or they don't want to snuggle and read books ... or don't randomly come and give me kisses and stare at me from an inch away.

Kids grow up - as evidenced by Abe's visible white socks under those nearly-high-water-jeans. Why does that seem to suddenly happen? They wake up one morning and their pants are too short. Sigh...

Katrina Kenison is the author of 'The Gift of an Ordinary Day' and also wrote this that I liked:
"We can learn to trust our maternal selves and to have faith in the innate goodness and purity of our children - even when we feel overwhelmed and the kids are pushing all our buttons. We can support one another....we can be understanding of each other and easier on ourselves." ~ Katrina Kenison (Mitten Strings for God: Reflections for Mothers in a Hurry)
It is quiet at my house. My fussy Tru finally fell asleep. Max took a nap for the first time in 2 weeks (Hallelujah - it made me cry happy tears). Abe is in quiet time playing nicely.

Today I have realized my ordinary days are beautiful gifts that I need to treasure.

2 comments:

melimba said...

hi heather!
i have to put your blog on my google reader! so many great gems on here!

i LOVED this post. LOVED the video you linked to. BAWLED my eyes out through the whole thing.

what a great message and perfect reminder! don't be mad if I do a post on it too one day. LOVE it.

Thanks for the head's up on that site that used our fabric!! SO EXCITING!! You are too sweet!
THANK YOU!
hope you have a GREAT day!
love melis

Wendi said...

I posted this video on my blog too. It was a perspective changer for me also. My kids are 11 and almost 14 now-- so things are starting to change a lot in our lives these days. But I still enjoy the times when the kids pile in bed with me and we all read and snuggle together. I'm thankful that they still like me. :)